Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"Paradise Now" and the hope its given us



I haven't written much lately. I have been trying to focus on work, and on many of the other projects I have been juggling around.
Yet i feel this urge to write, to express my feelings after i have read that Hany Abu-Assad's "Paradise Now" has won this year's golden globe awards for best foreign film. If he ends up getting the oscar, that is going to make our plan to meet up , drift further away.
I got to meet Hany while I was at the Dubai Film festival, and I found out that he had plans to move to Los Angeles, so with no hesitation, I made sure we exchanged contacts in hope to meet soon.
I have wanted to write about paradise now for a while, and after watching it for the second time, I feel that i need to watch it a couple more times, before i can write something that is worthy of it.
The film for me was a leap for an arab film, the details, the subtleness, and most importantly the questions it lets you raise and debate in your head and with others, makes it raise the bar for us filmmakers.
As some may know by now, I plan to edit and co-produce what we hope to be the first jordanian feature film to go to the world. Today's award gives me hope, and lets me think that the world is going to want to hear our stories.
In about six months time, we hope to start shooting, and hopefully what we do is going to inspire a whole generation of youth in Jordan to change their perseption of the arts, and to dream one day, that they too can become filmmakers, the same way, amin and I and many others have done, and are on the way to reaching our dreams.

Congratulations Hanny.

2 Comments:

Blogger Biesan said...

I saw this film here in DC two months ago before heading on my vacation to Amman..I was so impressed by everything by it especially the message..Its really one of the best films i have seen during this year..I was sad though that not many people had heard about it in Amman, and i was wondering wether they were going to play it there... I was so proud last night to know that it won a Golden Globe...It was really a great feeling to hear the words "a palestinian movie" has won..Cheers

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Laith,

I've been asked to be part of a question/answer committee on the film and I have not even seen it yet and wont get to until the actual day of the film viewing in my city. I was wondering if you could recommend some sources to view, blogs to read, summaries, etc.? Or if you could tell me more about what you liked about the movie?

I am very interested in issues of gender and women's representations in films. I am wondering if you noticed anything about this in particular in the film.

Thanks a lot and good luck with all your work.

Dana

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home