Tuesday, December 26, 2006

After 9 hours in the dark room

At a dinner party last night i was asked why i was still using an "old" camera. It made me smile, as i've been getting that question more and more recently. The other day a guy saw the camera around my neck and asked me if i like to take pictures, i felt the urge to say, "no i just have it as a weight on my neck!"

People are surprised that i still use B&W film.

The digital or film issue is one that is never ending, and i am not going to get into that debate. I use both, and often at the same time.

Take yesterday as an example. I first shot a roll with the Leica in Al-Abdali, then a couple of hours later i went down to Al-Baq'aa boxing club, and had both the digital and film cameras with me.

I am shooting a photo essay on the club for the January issue of Nox magazine. The editor wants it in color, so i used my digital, but i made a couple of frames on film for myself. He may change his mind when he sees the results.

I decided that i'll dedicate today to the darkroom.
Spent 9 hours working with film. I even developed two rolls from a pool side bbq that took place in summer. It was about time.

Just got back home. I smell like chemicals, but am happy with the results i ended up getting. I am attaching a scan of one of the contact sheets i printed today. The blue circles indicate frames that i want to print. Ended up printing six images. Also printed two from the Abdali series. Nothing beats feeling and looking at a true photographic print.


I also printed my first fiber print. Left it to dry.

Enough of me talking nonesense.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Madi said...

man, enta agrat men great!

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Digital Analalog ... That discussion will never end

The pictures are Fantastic (as usual) well done man!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey all you loyal Battranzi readers:
I would like to suggest that you all check out Laith Majali's Idea in the new 2007 calender of traditional Jordanian Proverbs كلمة و مثل I bought mine at Living Room and u can find it also at Titles . I honestly think it's a great gift for the new year! Every one who got it da3ali, therefore ba3elko jamee3an;)
Thank you for a such a special idea,Laith! You are a national tresure insha2allah...و الخيل أعلم بفرسانها!

By the way اعمل معروف و ارمي بلبحر

ودمتم

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures Majali

Tina ..ma 7ada begool 3an zaito 3iker :p send me mine

7:35 PM  
Blogger planetkatieandseb said...

Hello laith,

I have been following your photographic development for a while and its getting better and better. Well done.

Since I started this traveling business I am really getting into it myself. Hope to get better though.

I am glad awel is finally getting to be a citizien again after being underground forever...that hair must be huge!!!

be good and have a great year mate,
seb

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home