Tuesday, March 07, 2006

"Paradise Now" comes full circle

I have blogged a number of times about the Palestinian film "Paradise Now" and the circle has come to close with it winning the independent spirit award for best foreign film, and not receiving yesterday's Oscars .
Many have talked about the controversies surrounding the film, many have talked about the pressure it faced going into this year's Oscars, but what I want to point out is one of the main points that Hany Abu Assad hopes for this film to create.
In his interview on Al-Jazeera's "Open Dialogue" on Saturday, he mentioned that he hoped this film would let people talk and discuss the issues that are presented in it. "Art, creates dialogue", he said, and I agree with his statement.
He knew he wasn't going to receive the Oscar, but he said that he has succeeded in putting a name for Palestine in history, that a Palestinian film was made, under occupation, captured the awards around the world, and was nominated for an Oscar.

I hope the film is received in the same way in the Arab world, where much dialogue is needed.

To the whole cast and crew of Paradise Now, I nod to you in respect, and hope that this is just the start for the stories and voices of the Arab world to get noticed worldwide.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Totsi, but I thought Paradise Now was better, (direction-wise and otherwise) than Crash, which won best pic. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder how much the lobbying affected the decision.

Nabluuuuus Rica

-Hamako

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home