Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The hardships of acting

Rehearsals have started for "Walking the Winds" the play I am performing in. Let me tell you, it is tough. Getting back into acting after 4 years of being away from theatre is proving to be a bit difficult. It is tough mentally, physically and by the end of day one is exhausted.
We rehearse for 8 hours a day from 12 to 8 pm, yet I start preparing in the hotel room before that, and recapping and preparing for next day's rehearsal happens at night.
The play consists of a number of vignettes, all of which include singing and dancing. At dance rehearsals I have noticed older injuries starting to creep back, both my left knee and left ankle are being iced as I write this.
Vocally I have to put so much effort into getting back my range and also delivering crisp and clear words.

Working with professional actors is also a bit different than what I experienced in Jordan. Working under the actor's union rules also creates certain restrictions.
All I know is that I really need to get back into the groove of things, and as many have said " its like riding a bike again" it takes work , work and more work.

I am now trying to find my approach to playing Ibn Battoutah who serves as the "Hakawati" or storyteller. I am reading as much as humanly possible about him and his travels. Being such a major part of the play this is making this challenge a tough one.

Well, I guess I need to get back to creating this character and stop fooling around online.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

best of luck. you have a beautiful voice as demonstrated in the first episode of JameedKast. I am not worried about you.

بي. إس. أهلك بعثوك على أمريكيا تغني وترقص؟

7:18 AM  
Blogger Laith said...

the singing is not the problem. Its just getting back the vocal clarity and quality needed for stage. Not to mention tonal variation.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Blogger said...

Laith,Good luck.
I hope everything will go fine.
Performing infront of people on stage is the hardest thing ever!
Now,I've been on stage before.I found that the best way to tune in your voice is to record it and lesson carefuly were it goes bad.

Try a shot of Tequila beofre going up the stage, it will loosen you up and get you straight.

جميد بحكي صح
مش لو تشتغل على كازية بيكون أحسنلك من الهمالة و قلة الحيا؟

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laish,
Mabrook 3ala hal injash il 3atheem. Shughlak ma3 muashileen brofishinal bidil 3ala inno nasha2i7i ou ta3leemi ilak bada yishmir.
shukran innak thakaritni ka jusho2 min injashatak.

Shalam,
Firash.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home